[lug] Internet Access

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Jan 24 20:35:17 MST 2001

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 04:38:14PM -0700, Kyle Moore wrote:
>I can't believe it.
>I can't get DSL...

Yeah, join the club...  Our problem isn't range, it's QWest stupidity.
We ordered this 1Mbps line in November so we could distribute KRUD via
it.  It was supposed to be Dec 11, but they lost the order.  Twice.
The line finally came up and they got me the account information last
week.

Problem was, they had dropped the ball on the "Office" pack (required
for a static IP).  I called again last week about it, they said it
would be up today and then I could order the static IP.

Today, instead of the office pack, they apparently just created a new
regular DSL account for us.  As of 7pm, the office pack still wasn't
in.

Totaled, including spending an hour on the phone telling they they had
exhausted their opportunities to fix it, we've spent over 4 hours on the
phone to them.

Unfortunately, the last guy I spoke with couldn't answer my question
as to wether this was residual USWest incompetence, or if QWest was
striving hard to surpas the old records.

>Looks like I can get Sprint Broadband....I'm psyched. I sign up for it,

That sounds like it might be interesting.  Not available in this area
ATM, but it seems almost like a rebirth of ISDN -- net and phone integration.

>I can't f*!*(@#)(*& believe it! I live in the one area in the whole
>country that can't get anything better than a 56k connection....this is

You're far from the only place in the country.  It's very little of the
country who can actually GET broadband...  Right Kevin?

Sean
--
 "No early worm is giving ME the bird!" -- Bullwinkle J. Moose