[lug] suse and sshd

Deva Samartha blug-nospam at mtbwr.net
Wed Jan 24 22:16:38 MST 2001

Well, I am not trying, I have sshd version OpenSSH_2.2.0p1 under SuSE 7.0
and I did the build on Oct 28. possibly under SuSE 6.4, so my memory is a
bit sketchy in details.

What SuSE version are you running under?
Where did you get the ssh source from?

SuSE comes with openssh or at least you can get it from their website.

But SuSE's ssh version is not the latest openssh version and when you
download the latest from the openssh site and try to build, you run into
problems.

I think, one needs either openssl and/or mod_ssl to build the ssh and
again, the versions need to match with the particular SuSE version you are
running.

I'd get the source rpm either from the CD or their ftp site for the SuSE
version you are under and build that.

I am not familiar with openssh-server and I don't know in which way it
differs from openssh. My source tarball for this was: openssh-2.2.0p1.tar.gz

Hoping this helps,

Samartha