[lug] Internet Access

Shannon Johnston nunar at iws.net
Thu Jan 25 11:03:25 MST 2001

The range of the wireless varies on the type of antenna that you get.
The most common configuration I've seen for residential sharing is:

Run the bandwidth into one building. Use a wireless bridge with an omni
antenna. (Looks a lot like a broomstick.)
All of the other machines use a small directional antenna (Looks like a
small microphone on a stand.) That antenna can either go into another
bridge or into a PCI or PCMCIA card directly in the machine. (Or linux
router :) )
The broomstick needs to be within line of sight of the smaller antennas.
Although it should go through treetops and windows with no or minimail
interference.
This will cover about 10 miles. You can run other bridges as repeaters.
The main bridge box will route and work as a DHCP server. (At least the
one's I've worked with.)

Shannon Johnston