[lug] Internet Access

Terry Branaman tbranam at firstworld.net
Thu Jan 25 10:34:30 MST 2001

Have you looked into IDSL? That's what I ended up getting. I'm too far out
for regular DSL, and I had lots of bad experiences with TCI (before they
were bought by AT&T) for cable TV. With those bad experiences, I didn't want
to depend on them for Internet access. To say nothing of the problems I
would have with wiring (living room at one end of the house, computer room
at the other end).

IDSL provides a nominal rate of 144K, which is a lot better than the 40K and
less I was getting with dial-up, even though its not as good as DSL or
cable. It is more expensive than some of the other options, but since I had
multiple ISPs so that I could use the one with the best response on a given
day, I still come out a little ahead on cost.

I ended up with Firstworld. It took a long time to get set up (apparently
due to problems getting the ISDN line installed), but support since then
(the few times I needed it) has been good. They don't officially support
Linux, and asked me to hook up a Windows box for troubleshooting, but they
don't have any restrictions with what I can do with my connection (at least
for connection sharing and for hosting FTP and web sites).