[lug] ntp.conf options

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Jan 25 12:41:51 MST 2001

charles at lunarmedia.net wrote:

> is there a 'listen-on' param or something similar that i can stick into
> ntpd.conf to limit what ip address my machine listens on udp 123? right
> now i have about 2 dozen subinterfaces configured and they all show up as
> :123 under netstat.
>
> thanks -cjm

I know nothing about ntpd.conf, but you can use ipchains to allow or
deny in any combination you want port 123 for access to various ip's.
/etc/services is how names are associated with particular port numbers,
though there are a lot of programs that can listen on a given port
without naming it there; if it is named there, then you can change the
port number by changing the name-to-port association in /etc/services
(won't take effect till you restart inetd, e.g., killall -HUP inetd).