[lug] Internet Access

Ian Hall-Beyer manuka at nerdherd.net
Thu Jan 25 18:30:05 MST 2001

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, llornkcor wrote:

> I've had dsl in Longmont (old section) for about 2 or 3 months. I've
> had problems with regular modem service about a year or so ago.
> Something about an old switch or something...

Yup. Longmont's always fun. When I moved there from Westminster, I went
from getting 1.544 Mbps SDSL, at 11,000 feet from the CO, to not being
able to sync up at 1544, at half that distance.

Then my DSL wireline provider goes bankrupt. Then my ISP's OTHER wireline
provider goes bankrupt. Options? Qwest. But I can't get Qwest DSL because
my voice line is coming out of a remote switch. Never mind that I've
currently got a dry pair back to the CO they could hook me into.

Latest in the saga is that I'm trying for Sprint ION.

-Ian

--

If rationality were the only criterion for things being allowed to exist,
the world would be one gigantic field of soybeans.

				-- Tom Stoppard