[lug] KRUD install problems

Jeffery D. Collins jcollins at endtech.com
Fri Jan 26 08:02:32 MST 2001

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 09:10:22PM -0700, Jeffery D. Collins wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 08:43:55PM -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 03:15:20PM -0700, Jeffery Collins wrote:
> > >	2.2.16
> >
> > You can install the 3.3.6 X drivers while the rest of your system is running
> > 4.0.x.  I did that on my laptop because while the 4.0.1 release did include
> > drivers for my laptop chipset, they were SO slow.  Just install the appropriate
> > server, make a symbolic link to it as /etc/X11/X, copy the XF86Config file
> > from your friend, and you're all set.
>
> Thanks.  I'll try this.

It turns out that KRUD 7.0 already included the older driver I
needed.  Your recipe work great.  The default modeline caused some
problems with the screen.  There was a narrow white bar along the
bottom of the screen that somehow created shadows along the top of the
screen.   After moving the screen down using xvidtune, the display now
looks great!

> > >Jan 24 12:03:51 localhost kernel: eth0: flipped to 10baseT
> > >Jan 24 12:04:21 localhost kernel: eth0: flipped to 10baseT
> > >Jan 24 12:04:50 localhost cardmgr[446]: + Determining IP information for eth0...Operation failed.
> >
> > Looks like it's having problems properly talking to the net card or thinks
> > that it's using the wrong interface?
>
> I decided to try another ethernet card that I had lying around and it
> works perfectly.  Hmmm.  I don't know if this has anything to do with
> it, but the modem and ethernet subsystems of the combo card share an
> IRQ.  Note that I don't use the modem and ethernet simultaneously.

There may have been a problem with the Sprint box.  I acquired another
IP address from Sprint needed for my two-node internal network.  Since
Sprint remotely reconfigured the box for this (it uses dhcp), the dhcp
server on it has been much more responsive.  Hosts configure much
faster now than before - usually after just a couple of packets,
rather than 7-10.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff