[lug] Filtering Proxies

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Fri Jan 26 15:52:43 MST 2001

What, like an http proxy?  Squid?  For filters, there's a
redirector API.  One filtering redirector example is Ad
Zapper.  The author updates a zap list, and makes it
freely available.  Squid has even attempted an
internet-wide caching hierarchy, which I know very little
about.

http://www.squid-proxy.org

The challenge, as you point out, would be design an public
update method, probably by user moderation (like /.) and
deploy it on a nice fat pipe, but the congestion could get
ugly real fast.

"Michael J. Pedersen" wrote:

> I have an idea for this group to consider fairly seriously. We have hit the
> age of proxies, and we aren't going to get rid of them. We also have
> legislation that requires any place receiving federal funds put them in place.
> My solution? An open source proxy.
>
> Consider this: With it being open source, we could make the blacklist not
> quite so dark. In fact, we could provide some truly useful categories which
> could be used. Make the list public, too, so that users can see what is in
> what category, and even provide a challenge mechanism for a mis-filed website.
>
> In short, we could write something which would give these places a break, in
> all sorts of ways. Take junkbuster as the base, so it can work on nt servers
> and on linux servers. The proxy itself is free. The list is free, and locally
> modifiable.
>
> Issues:
> 1) Categorizing the web would be incredibly difficult, to say the least. We'd
> need to enlist the help of as many people as possible, and make it a painless
> process as well.
>
> 2) Bandwidth, especially for the blacklist. I can't host it. Especially once
> /. gets information about it. Can anybody here even suggest a site which could
> host it?
>
> 3) Actual coding. Heck, by comparison to the others, this is small change. But
> it would still take some time, probably a good two months, to get a beta out
> the door for people.
>
> Customizations could go hog wild, complete with a decent tool to administer
> the whole shebang. What does everybody think? Should we try and write it, or
> should we just wait for somebody else?
>
> --
> Michael J. Pedersen
> My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: wwwkeys.pgp.net
> My GnuPG Key Fingerprint: C31C 7E90 5992 9E5E 9A02 233D D8DD 985E 4E72 4A60
> GnuPG available at http://www.gnupg.org
>
>   ----------------------------------------------------------

John Hernandez, Network Engineer
US Department of Commerce                             tel:
303-497-6392
NOAA/OAR - Mailstop R/OM12                            fax:
303-497-6005
325 Broadway                            e-mail:
John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Boulder, CO 80303
http://boulder.noaa.gov