[lug] Filtering Proxies

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at keepthetouch.org
Fri Jan 26 20:42:21 MST 2001

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 06:39:15PM -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> Why does my mailer think your address is "marvin"?  Can you fix that?

Well, it is marvin at keepthetouch.org. Dunno why it's just saying marvin for me.
I can set some extra headers, but they'll get sucked up by the list.

> >Yes, an http proxy, but not quite like squid, nor even like junkbuster. More
>
> Why not like squid?  Squid has the performance characteristics that
> you'd have to have.  If you're going to say an existing solution isn't
> suitable, you'd better say why and provide evidence that you can do
> the job better than the Squid team.  ;-)

Either squid or junkbuster would be an excellent base. The only reason I chose
junkbuster is that it already runs on Windows, which would be a requirement
for the proxy to even be accepted at many places. Squid, though, could be
ported, and that I wouldn't mind.

As for doing better at caching than squid? No, I don't pretend that I can. The
only reason I say not like squid is that this proxy must support categories of
lists which can be blocked, instead of a single blacklist (or whitelist).
That's the main difference. Well, that and Windows compatibility :)

--
Michael J. Pedersen
My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: wwwkeys.pgp.net