[lug] Internet Access

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Jan 29 02:46:03 MST 2001

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> >Looks like I can get Sprint Broadband....I'm psyched. I sign up for it,
>
> That sounds like it might be interesting.  Not available in this area
> ATM, but it seems almost like a rebirth of ISDN -- net and phone integration.

Don't confuse Sprint Broadband and Sprint ION.  Two different things,
with Denver as a trial market for both!  :)

sprintbroadband.com -- wireless from Eldorado Mtn. and supposedly also
from Mt. Morrison now.*

sprintion.com -- the ATM-based voice/data thing with multiple voice
lines bundled with high-speed access through the same device.

* Can anyone confirm the Mt. Morrison thing for Sprint Broadband?  I
know from a past life that that particular mountain has been all but
"closed" to new services/antennas/systems for years due to it being on
government land.

Anything new up there used to have to be placed on the existing FM
broadcast tower, which meant it was rarely possible to get to your
antenna systems to work on them if they went down, etc.

Meaning:  I'm not sure if they're on the FM tower up there I'd buy it.
It's screaming -- long downtime/big outage -- to me the next time we
have a serious ice-storm in the southwest part of town here...

Nate, nate at natetech.com