[lug] Domain Hosting..

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Jan 29 02:55:32 MST 2001

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 01:19:09PM -0700, celttechie (Brian Jarrett) wrote:
> >It's really easy to list something like ns1.qwest.net as a secondary.  A
>
> Yeah, works fine until somone actually tries requesting data for that zone
> and QWest refuses to provide it.  I don't recall who it was, but just the
> other day I ran into a DNS server that would only provide recursive lookups
> to their dial-ups -- I think it was Netcom.

And any server doing "negative lookup caching" that asks ns1.qwest.net
(Brian's example) for records that doesn't get any, will not ask your
server for records until the zone negative cache TTL time (the SOA
record TTL time in BIND 8.2 and beyond) runs out.

Blip, you just disappeared completely for a portion of the Internet
that's using that nameserver to recurse to you.  Bye bye.

As a poor harangued DNS admin amongst other things at work, I truly wish
people would simply set up their DNS as it should be set up and not try
to abuse the servers by playing tricks like this one.

Of course, the really funny thing is that 90% of the "hey, my DNS isn't
working" calls that I get are because someone didn't pay the NSI bill
that came in the mail!  Heh heh...
http://www.networksolutions.com/payments has become very useful with the
year old .com's who've forgotten about paying their bills.

A friend just started using www.zoneedit.com, and they have a "free"
service offering going on right now to get business.  I haven't got a
clue if they'll be around for long, or if they won't but might be worth
a try.

Also, if any BLUG'er has NON-COMMERCIAL zones they need someone to
secondary for them (ooh, boy... here it comes, should I really *do*
this?) I'd be happy to slave them to my server on my home DSL.   (Awww,
what the hell?  Why not?)  It's not the fastest link in the world, so...
your call.  Of course, if someone decides to DoS you and starts with
your nameserver, I'd be a lot grumpy.  :-)

Nate, nate at natetech.com