[lug] Good News: Linux Printer Drivers...

Ferdinand P. Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Mon Jan 29 12:31:03 MST 2001

HI,

Linux magazine reports in their February issue that Lexmark has released Linux
printer drivers for their Z32 and Z52 printers ($70, $180).  These injkets
print up to 2400 dpi in color and now also in Linux.  If I hadn't spent the
$500 2.5 years ago for an HP deskjet I would go out and get one.  I really
miss printing high quality pictures under Linux.  My $50 cups software makes
pictures on the deskjet somewhat usable but they look nowhere close to Windows
printed pictures on the same printer.

I happened to contact HP and Epson 2 months ago regarding Linux drivers and
their response was:  Linux works; when asked about high quality color
rendering and proprietary algorithms used in Windows drivers they pretty much
said they don't care about Linux and don't have any plans to ever offer Linux
drivers.
GO -> LEXMARK!!!

Ferdinand

--