[lug] NCAR reps?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Mon Jan 29 21:32:26 MST 2001

"Michael J. Hammel" wrote:

> Hi gang.  Darryl Strauss has agreed to come speak at CLIQ this year.  He
> wants to try and find a business justification to have VA cover his trip
> (just to save CLIQ the expense of flying him out).  He has a couple of
> contacts he might be able to use.  I told him there might be some folks at
> NCAR interested in computer graphics that he might be able to talk to.
>
> Does anyone have any contacts at NCAR who might be interested in talking
> with him about graphics issues with Linux and/or clustering.  Remember that
> he put together the render-farm for Titanic for Digital Domain - pretty
> smart fellow.
>
> Anyway, if you know who he might try contacting let me know so I can pass
> it on to him.  Thanks.
>
> FYI - Darryl currently works on OpenGL hardware acceleration issues for VA and
> the XFree86 project.  He's the guy who wrote the first 3Dfx drivers for
> XFree86.
> --
> Michael J. Hammel           |
> The Graphics Muse           |  Can I trade this job for what's behind door #2?
> mjhammel at graphics-muse.org  |
> http://www.graphics-muse.com

There may be a good reason to forward this to someone at a Boulder
company called "VR-1". They created a linux game server clustering
technology for the next-generation of distributed network games. I have
no idea if they would actually be interested, but I happen to have a
card from their human resources manager, who might in turn be able to
ask locally (and I personally would like to hear any presentations):
Jill McCormick, jmccormick at vr1.com