[lug] DOS attack

Scott A. Herod herod at interact-tv.com
Tue Jan 30 14:36:56 MST 2001

Hi,

  Denial Of Service.  DDoS is Distributed Denial of Service.  Apparently
the recent MS attack was a DoS attack while the attack last year against
Yahoo and others was a DDoS.  ( The person responsible for those just
plead guilt to something like 64 counts of computer crimes in Canada. )
Typically, in a DDoS, the person first breaks into a number of other
machines and starts all of them flooding a site as well.

  Basically, it is an attack that floods your machines with request for
information.  To cheat ( and make your machine do even more work ) the
request are improperly formatted so that your machine tries to respond
to some non-existant address with an error message.