[lug] OpenSSH

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at keepthetouch.org
Tue Jan 30 16:05:55 MST 2001

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 02:55:03PM -0700, D. Stimits wrote:
> Unfortunately it doesn't work. If I use ssh, it simply says permission
> denied (it isn't the local ssh file either, it works to localhost and to
> many sites. If I use ssh2 (this machine has both commercial ssh and
> openssh ssh2 clients, since I *must* use the commercial version to
> interact with my SunOS account on one site; the other machine involved
> is pure openssh), I get what looks like it works most of the way
> through, then /var/log/messages reports:
> sshd[1076]: Disconnecting: Corrupted HMAC on input.

Dunno what that error means, unfortunately, so can't give good advice.

> I want to completely remove all ssh items from two linux boxes, and
> reinstall with newer versions only, but I'm having problems with rpms
> (none exist for RH 6.2, the source rpm's of 7 won't work on my 6.2
> boxes). The FreeBSD tarball does not have a configure script, and the
> Makefile seems screwed for use with linux. There don't seem to be any
> ssh version 2.3 tarballs available that are intended for linux, I could
> only find FreeBSD of that version, and 2.2 for linux. Somehow I need to
> find a current tarball for linux, and remove absolutely all of the old
> stuff and start from scratch. Once I succeed, it will probably be broken
> by the dual install of the client for commercial version that I have to
> use to get to my SunOS account (openssh is incompatible with the
> commercial one).

Well, I can help out a bit:
ftp://ftp1.usa.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/

That's the site for a version which should work anywhere. As for the SunOS,
why isn't openssh compatible with the commercial version? openssh supports all
the latest ssh specs as far as I know.

--
Michael J. Pedersen
My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: wwwkeys.pgp.net