[lug] Quote of the Day

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Jan 30 16:14:13 MST 2001

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 03:10:08PM -0700, B O'Fallon wrote:
> >"Linux is simply a fad that has been generated by the media and is
> >destined to fall by the wayside in time. Windows 2000 will gradually
> >overtake the Linux share in  the server market. In fact, the advent of
>
> To me, this feels like projection.  If you swap "Linux" and "Windows 2000"
> in the above statement, you may find it's more accurate.  Take, for example,
> the results of the NetCraft web survey at http://www.netcraft.co.uk/survey/
>
> Apache is at 60.04% this month (up .35% from last month), and IIS is
> at 20.09 (down .51% from last month).  IIS growth hit a plateu in early
> 1998 and has basicly stayed there.  I find it amusing that every
> substantial growth in IIS is followed within a few months by a more
> substantial fall and a corresponding Apache growth.

I found it funny to see a similar projection by someone who likes MS (an
employee I think). He said that apache forked instead of threaded
because unix doesn't thread right, that the threads were just forks. I
guess he didn't understand the implications of a connectionless protocol
like http, and it sounded good.