[lug] ntp?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Jan 30 16:20:32 MST 2001

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 04:17:04PM -0700, Justin wrote:
>I don't currently have any time synchonization on my network and I'm
>starting to look into it. All I have found so far is ntp, it seems kind
>of old. Is it outdated? What suggestions does anyone have for synching
>time? Thanks in advance.

ntp works great.  Feel free to use the time servers ntp1.tummy.com
and ntp2.tummy.com if you want to keep load off the big ones.

Note that the ntpd won't sync your time if your system clock is too
far off (like happens after a timezone switch).  Make sure to periodicly
run "setclock -w" or the appropriate "clock" command from cron (daily/weekly)
to update the BIOS clock and/or run "ntpdate" to sync the clock on startup
BEFORE running "ntpd".

Sean
--
 "I can sum it up in one word:  Indescribable!"  -- Gonzo