[lug] Domain Hosting..

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Tue Jan 30 20:31:29 MST 2001

Nate,

I might be interested in your offer.  Also, I could try and return the
favor for others.  I, too, have DSL, but currently don't really know much
about DNS.  I would need to learn before I could help.  Oh yeah, my IP is
also static.  I have registered silverklein.net but don't currently have
any DNS pointed to it.  My ISP does email forwarding for free.  But they want
5 or 7 bucks a month to do DNS, and a one time fee of 20 buck or the like.

So where should I go to get up to speed on DNS?

Anyone else interested.

Tim

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 02:55:32AM -0700, Nate Duehr wrote:
> Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 01:19:09PM -0700, celttechie (Brian Jarrett) wrote:
> > >It's really easy to list something like ns1.qwest.net as a secondary.  A
> >
> > Yeah, works fine until somone actually tries requesting data for that zone
> > and QWest refuses to provide it.  I don't recall who it was, but just the
> > other day I ran into a DNS server that would only provide recursive lookups
> > to their dial-ups -- I think it was Netcom.
>
> And any server doing "negative lookup caching" that asks ns1.qwest.net
> (Brian's example) for records that doesn't get any, will not ask your
> server for records until the zone negative cache TTL time (the SOA
> record TTL time in BIND 8.2 and beyond) runs out.
>
> Blip, you just disappeared completely for a portion of the Internet
> that's using that nameserver to recurse to you.  Bye bye.
>
> As a poor harangued DNS admin amongst other things at work, I truly wish
> people would simply set up their DNS as it should be set up and not try
> to abuse the servers by playing tricks like this one.
>
> Of course, the really funny thing is that 90% of the "hey, my DNS isn't
> working" calls that I get are because someone didn't pay the NSI bill
> that came in the mail!  Heh heh...
> http://www.networksolutions.com/payments has become very useful with the
> year old .com's who've forgotten about paying their bills.
>
> A friend just started using www.zoneedit.com, and they have a "free"
> service offering going on right now to get business.  I haven't got a
> clue if they'll be around for long, or if they won't but might be worth
> a try.
>
> Also, if any BLUG'er has NON-COMMERCIAL zones they need someone to
> secondary for them (ooh, boy... here it comes, should I really *do*
> this?) I'd be happy to slave them to my server on my home DSL.   (Awww,
> what the hell?  Why not?)  It's not the fastest link in the world, so...
> your call.  Of course, if someone decides to DoS you and starts with
> your nameserver, I'd be a lot grumpy.  :-)
>
> Nate, nate at natetech.com

== Timothy Klein       || And what rough beast                   ==
== teece at hypermall.net || Its hour come round at last            ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born? ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || The beast of Redmond, nothing more.    ==