[lug] X FontPaths

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Jan 31 13:27:45 MST 2001

>>>>> "John" == John Starkey <jstarkey at advancecreations.com> writes:

John> Hello All.  I'm on attempt number 3 at setting up X. I've had it
John> running, and like it, but I just can't get it to jive with my
John> work. Now it's been a while and I can't get the FontPath
John> working.

John> When starting X it's dieing with a message "failed to set
John> default font path 'unix/:-1'"

John> This doesn't look like a path to me :} Can anyone tell me what
John> it means?

It's trying to talk to the X font server instead of talking to the
files directly. The unix thing means that it should use a unix socket
(local) to connect to the X font server. Probibly that's not
running. ;)

On RedHat at least, you can do a /etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs start to start
it (if it's installed).

John> Then the next problem. I've changed the font path to a dir,

using xset?

John> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts and it's not changing the above
John> value. I renamed all but one XF86Config (/etc/X11/XF86Config)
John> and did a locate which isn't returning any other copies. Yet the
John> font path isn't changing. Anyone know what else could be feeding
John> the 'unix/:-1' value to X?

If you are using RH/Krud7, and are using XFree4.0.1, you might need to
modify the /etc/X11/XFree86-4 file. Also, are you restarting X
entirely after changing this?

John> Thanks.
John> John

kevin