[lug] Strange Kernel IO habits

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Wed Jan 31 14:10:07 MST 2001

HI,
We have recently developed a little application that collects data from
a number of wireless sensors through a receiver.  The receiver is
connected to a linux box, where the data packets are being processed.

Here is our observation:
We configured the serial port (e.g. ttyS0) to raw input and appropriate
speed, etc.

Despite this setting, which in our opinion should provide "raw input" =
unprocessed input, we still experienced some processing, at least with
kernels 2.2.14, and 2.2.16:

The system did its Carriage Return - Newline conversion    (icrnl bit
set), causing us a lot of headache since we didn't suspect such a
thing.  Turning the icrnl bit off fixed the problem.  But shouldn't raw
input mean no conversions?

Am I missing something here and this behavior makes sense or should this
be considered a bug?

Ferdinand

--
Ferdinand Schmid