[lug] ISP suggestions, Louisville broadband?

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Wed Jan 31 19:47:14 MST 2001

Ronald Kumon wrote:

> I'm new to the area, and I wanted to get some recommendations for an
> ISP.  Right now I just need a basic dialup service, shell account, email
> address, and small web site.  I may want to do DSL later.  Of course,
> Linux-friendly is a plus.

FPCC (http://www.fpcc.net) meets all of those specs, and I've been
pretty happy with it since I switched ISPs 14 months ago.

> This leads to my next question.  I'll be moving to Louisville soon, and
> there does not seem to be a broadband option where I'll be (near the rec
> center).  Comcast said that they don't offer cable modems yet, but
> hopes to roll out services in late spring/early summer.  Qwest tested the
> line, said that service wasn't available, but indicated that they too hope
> to start DSL service at an unspecified future date.  Does anyone know more
> about either of these possibilities?  Are there other options?  Thanks.

FPCC offers DSL in some areas (not where _I_ live, of course), so you
might check the DSL link on their page to see if it's available in
Louisville.

But I suppose if Qwest says "nope", then FPCC probably will, too (since
- IIRC - most DSL lines are routed through Qworst ... errr ... Qwest).

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)