[lug] LILO and LIes

rm at mamma.varadinet.de rm at mamma.varadinet.de
Wed Jan 31 20:55:02 MST 2001

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 08:45:24PM -0700, John Starkey wrote:
> > What does 'lilo -t' show?
> >  -*-      'lilo -q' -*-
> >  -*-      'lilo -q -m /boot/map' -*-
>
> lilo -t
> vmnew *
> linux
> boot sector and map haven't been changed
>
> lilo -g
> vmnew     *
> linux
>
> lilo -p -m /boot/map
> ignoring entry 'map'
> vmnew  *
> linux

Strange, indeed! Hmm, next shot: test whether you are booting
from the partition you have lilo installed in. If you change
the message in the message file and rerun lilo (yet one more
time) you should see these changes. How is the disk/partition
setup on this box?

> > You _did_ run lilo after changing /etc/lilo.conf?
>
> Yeah but at this point I'd be willing to try running lilo first :}

Sorry, i know it sounds stupid, but i've run into this trap more
than once.

 Ralf