[lug] LILO and LIes

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Wed Jan 31 21:31:27 MST 2001

> What other hd's are present? What is in /etc/fstab? It sounds like lilo
> is using the wrong lilo.conf, or else your boot loader is looking at the
> wrong boot record, such as mixing up mbr and partition boot records. You
> may want to forcibly name the conf file:
> lilo -v -C /etc/lilo.conf

Damn. I tried it and was psyched. Looked like it'd worked. Even gave me
the 'added vmnew' message. But same thing. Only shows 'linux' at the boot
prompt. I think this is the right track though based on everyones in put.

To answer the question above. I've got 3 HDs.

(sorry I can't script this because I'm on ssh and pine).

/home	hdd1 (the whole drive)
/usr	hdb1
/var	hdb3
/db	hdb4
/	hda1
/lfs	hda5

I'm not sure this is telling you what you wanna know. I don't know where
to find the 'bootable' flags.

Everything else is unmounted. / is at 98%, maybe there's a problem with
that? I'm not sure I understand the whole mbr being on the first 1024
thing. I understand why but what's the mbr and how big is it really ?

Thanks.

john