[lug] ISP suggestions, Louisville broadband?

Jeffery D. Collins jcollins at endtech.com
Wed Jan 31 19:32:10 MST 2001

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 11:03:38AM -0700, Ronald Kumon wrote:
> I'm new to the area, and I wanted to get some recommendations for an
> ISP.  Right now I just need a basic dialup service, shell account, email
> address, and small web site.  I may want to do DSL later.  Of course,
> Linux-friendly is a plus.

I live in Louisville and my ISP is boulder.net.  They have email,
shell account (DEC Alpha running OSF1), and a few megabytes for web
pages.  The 56K dialup accounts were and may still be flaky due to a
problem with the Quest lines in Louisville/Lafayette.  Be sure to
inquire about the status of this problem, because the backup dialin is
28.8.  I haven't checked the lines since the installation of my Sprint
Broadband a couple of weeks ago.  They also seem to have reasonable
tech support, and I've been able to speak to tech person when
necessary (had some minor problems with a static IP).

If you search the archives of this list, you'll find some discussion
of high speed ISPs in the area.  DSL is supposedly available in
Louisville, but I haven't any success on my lines (four in the past
several months).  The Cable company and a couple of Denver-based
wireless companies claimed to be expanding into this area this year.
Then, someone on this list mentioned Sprint Broadband Wireless.  I
placed an order and it was installed 3 weeks later.  The antenna
requires a direct line of site to Eldorado mountain.  I clocked the
download speed at 1.3Mbps and upload speed of 113 Kpbs upload (max 128
Kbps upload) last saturday.  Overall, I've been pleased.  My biggest
gripe are the somewhat choppy remote telnet sessions.  Sprint
discourages use for highly interactive use such as gaming, so this
wasn't unexpected.  Anyway, it's much, much better than 56K!

Jeff