[lug] LILO and LIes

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Jan 31 22:12:47 MST 2001

John Starkey wrote:

> > What other hd's are present? What is in /etc/fstab? It sounds like lilo
> > is using the wrong lilo.conf, or else your boot loader is looking at the
> > wrong boot record, such as mixing up mbr and partition boot records. You
> > may want to forcibly name the conf file:
> > lilo -v -C /etc/lilo.conf
>
> Damn. I tried it and was psyched. Looked like it'd worked. Even gave me
> the 'added vmnew' message. But same thing. Only shows 'linux' at the boot
> prompt. I think this is the right track though based on everyones in put.
>
> To answer the question above. I've got 3 HDs.
>
> (sorry I can't script this because I'm on ssh and pine).
>
> /home   hdd1 (the whole drive)
> /usr    hdb1
> /var    hdb3
> /db     hdb4
> /       hda1
> /lfs    hda5
>
> I'm not sure this is telling you what you wanna know. I don't know where
> to find the 'bootable' flags.
>
> Everything else is unmounted. / is at 98%, maybe there's a problem with
> that? I'm not sure I understand the whole mbr being on the first 1024
> thing. I understand why but what's the mbr and how big is it really ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> john

In addition to the above command, add more verbosity, and prior to doing
so, use chroot to be sure it is actually using the right root (for
example, the command can be used from a rescue floppy to tell it to use
lilo from the hd instead of the floppy). And verify that the root is
actually hda1 ("df ." does this if in the right directory):
cd /
df .
chroot /
lilo -v -v -v -C /etc/lilo.conf