[lug] LILO and LIes

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Thu Feb 1 10:27:57 MST 2001

> Did you solve your problem or did you give up
> and installed a real OS like  Win95 ?

Believe it or not this all started with an attempt to get gnome running
and set everything up so I can do my work on Linux and get rid of the
Windoze machine. I work with a company that uses a proprietary code for
displaying HTML, ASP, JS pages, this code/app is created in partnership w/
M$. But the biggest problem is that I code a lot of MSWord docs that I
need to see exactly the way they were intended.

I was trying to install the XFree86 4 and needed a newer version of
ld.so. Then glibc2 (which I assumed/hoped contained ld.so) came up with
some errors in linux and asm header files so I'm doing the kernel now.

> One thing that crossed my mind: Some stupid, silly
> boards have virus protectio on their MBR, preventing
> anything from writing to this part of the disk.
> And some of these virus protected boards won't give
> you an error if you try to write to the MBR.
> Check your BIOS settings.

Yes this is one of those silly boards :} But it was/is disabled.

What about reinstalling LILO? I don't wanna use rpms. I never have any
luck with them. I'd feel more comfortable if I just compile it myself for
now. I'm gonna try to track down the src right now.

It does seem to me that this is a lilo issue. I spent a few hours
compiling different variations of the kernel, with/without modules
enabled, using just the defaults, etc. Then I tried using make install
instead of copying the images over and running lilo myself.

But the whole reality as, I think you stated is that lilo says it's got
the kernel ready to go, but on restart it's not there.

Thanks

John