[lug] LILO and LIes

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Thu Feb 1 10:55:17 MST 2001

> Somehow i really doubt that this is an LILO issue at all.
> Ok, it's pretty easy to check this. Copy the first block
> of your harddisk to a save place:
>
> If both checksums are the same then LILO wasn't able
> to change your MBR.

No. They were different.

So, forgive me but I haven't had much of a chance to think backl on
everything that's been done, but why would lilo say it's there, then on
reboot say it's not? If the MBR says the other kernel is the boot kernel
then you're saying that kernel isn't being found. Seems to me, and I don't
know this by experience, that lilo would throw and exception at that point
instead of searching for available kernels.

John