[lug] off topic web Q

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Thu Feb 1 16:26:38 MST 2001

I'm trying to use cgi, and avoid javascript entirely, on a web site that
runs on SunOS/Sparc 80. The web server itself is a commercial server
that is very very close in design to Apache (but offers better virtual
domain and server farm support).

Here is the question, which someone here might know. Does anyone know of
a cgi means to take a collapsible "+" symbol, such as from the tree of a
file browser with a collapsed directory tree, and convert it back and
forth with the uncollapsed/expanded "-" version, without javascript, and
without resending the entire page? I'm guessing this isn't possible
since it implies an active intelligence within the browser itself. Any
suggested reading or HOWTO's, etc, would be appreciated (preferably
something I can see on the web). Implementations can be in almost any
cgi compatible format, preferably C++, Python, Perl, or PHP (my weird
sense of esthetics prefers C++, followed by Python).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com