[lug] Email/User issue

Justin glow at jackmoves.com
Fri Feb 2 11:04:57 MST 2001

I have an odd one here and didn't really know how to set the subject. I
recently added a user to my box that wanted a capital first letter for
their login name (ie: 'User' as opposed to 'user'). Well everything
works, except the user cannot recieve email. The user can send email
fine just not recieve it. My mail server returns the mail as
undeliverable. I looked in /var/spool/mail/ and no file is being
created for this user, I would expect the file /var/spool/mail/User to
be there. I even tried manually creating /var/spool/mail/User but no
dice. Now I went and created the same username but with no capital
first letter (ie: just 'user' and not 'User'). This account works just
fine, once you send an email to it the file /var/spool/mail/user is
created and the user recieves email with no problems. I made another
test user with a capital first letter for more testing and got the same
results as I stated above. Any idea why this is happening? Maybe I
don't know enough about how mail systems work or something? I am
running Postfix version 20000608 and my tests were done thru the Pine
mailer program.

Justin

-----
glow at jackmoves.com