[lug] Email/User issue

Justin glow at jackmoves.com
Fri Feb 2 17:42:05 MST 2001

I ended up just having the person use the lowercase login name, it's
not that big of a deal either way. But, now I'm wondering about the
uppercase first letter issue. I don't think the virtual or aliased user
would work either. Ultimately, I don't think a mail spool will be made
for "User" so it will never get mail no matter how I try to direct it
there. I could I suppose, somehow make the "User" mail programs read
from the "user" mail spool, but that would mean I'd have to have access
to whatever program the end user uses for email.

Another thing I was wondering, is what exactly constitutes for a non-
existant user? I mean the user I had was a valid user on the box, but
the only thing different from my other users was that this one didn't
get a file created for it in /var/spool/mail/. Even when I touched a
file "User" into /var/spool/mail and gave it the right perms it still
did not get delivered. I'm totally confusing myself with all this now,
hopefully you all can understand what I'm trying to spit out.  :)

Justin

> email addresses are supposed to be case insensitive.  You could take
the
> system dictator approach and require the user to use "user" instead of
> "User"
>
> I'm curious to know if an entry in the virtusertable would work since
> sendmail is not expecting case sensitive usernames (i.e. is sendmail
> going to see user at jackmoves.com   user as the entry in the host table.
>
> You could also try an alias instead of a virtuser.
>
> Hugh
>

> "Trever C. Trader" wrote:
> >
> > you could try editing your /etc/mail/virtusertable and creating a
record
> > for "user" to be "User":
> >
> > user at jackmoves.com              User
> >
> > hope that helps.
> >
> > On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Atkinson, Chip wrote:
> >
> > > I think I remember hearing that email addresses are not case
sensitive.  If
> > > that's the case, it would make sense that sendmail drops
everything to lower
> > > case.

file /var/spool/mail/user is
Maybe I