[lug] strange gimp behavior?

rm at mamma.varadinet.de rm at mamma.varadinet.de
Sun Feb 4 18:22:17 MST 2001

On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 03:59:00PM -0700, D. Stimits wrote:
> "Trever C. Trader" wrote:
> >
> > I would assume that you have proper permissions on the file to be able to
> > write to it?
>
> Definitely not the problem. The files are created with gimp running
> under the same user in the user's home directory, owned by the user.
> Even within the same session that creates the file, it fails, though it
> claims to have saved.

While i don't think that permissions are the problem here
it'sdefinitely possible to be able to create file while not
being able to modify files. You need write permissions on
the _directory_ to create a file but you need write perms.
on the file _itself_ to modify a file. Without write perms.
you can't modify the content of a file even if you own it
(of course you can remove it and recreate it :-/ )
But i don't think that this is the problem here: then
you wouldn't be able to save in other fromats as well.

I recall that i had some problems with PNG and Gimp
lately but i'm affraid i can't really remember ('t was
rather late at night :-) but if i do or i get the same
problems again i'll report to you (i'll have to create
some Penguin Logo later tonight).

 Ralf