[lug] strange gimp behavior?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Feb 4 18:51:20 MST 2001

rm at mamma.varadinet.de wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 03:59:00PM -0700, D. Stimits wrote:
> > "Trever C. Trader" wrote:
> > >
> > > I would assume that you have proper permissions on the file to be able to
> > > write to it?
> >
> > Definitely not the problem. The files are created with gimp running
> > under the same user in the user's home directory, owned by the user.
> > Even within the same session that creates the file, it fails, though it
> > claims to have saved.
>
> While i don't think that permissions are the problem here
> it'sdefinitely possible to be able to create file while not
> being able to modify files. You need write permissions on
> the _directory_ to create a file but you need write perms.
> on the file _itself_ to modify a file. Without write perms.
> you can't modify the content of a file even if you own it
> (of course you can remove it and recreate it :-/ )
> But i don't think that this is the problem here: then
> you wouldn't be able to save in other fromats as well.
>
> I recall that i had some problems with PNG and Gimp
> lately but i'm affraid i can't really remember ('t was
> rather late at night :-) but if i do or i get the same
> problems again i'll report to you (i'll have to create
> some Penguin Logo later tonight).
>
>  Ralf

Besides having checked permissions, the file could not have been written
originally if write perms did not exist. The app has no problems
creating new files in the directory, and as the same user, I am able to
modify or delete or move files with other apps or commands. The problem
occurs with other files and non-png as well, if I try to modify them
with gimp. It always asks permission to overwrite in cases that it
should, or claims success saving; it just doesn't actually do it.