[lug] Mail Daemon (pop/imap)

rm at mamma.varadinet.de rm at mamma.varadinet.de
Sun Feb 4 21:01:34 MST 2001

On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 08:55:39PM -0700, mark wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I recently put a hole through the wall and let my mother-in-law share my
> > broadband connection (we live in a duplex).  I have her up and running
> > fine as far as 'net  traffic goes, but I need to give her an account on
> > my Linux machine so she can get email.  I have a static IP and a domain
> > name, so the email is going to be delivered directly to my machine.
> >
> > What is a good choice for an email server to allow her to download her
> > mail messages from my box to her winblows machine?  I have always used
> POP3
> > for email, but I would suppose IMAP or something other would do fine.
> > Something better than plain text passwords would be nice, even though this
> > network is firewalled, because this is MY network ;-).
> >
> > Any recommendations on specific software packages?

I guess in a private network i wouldn't worry too much about cleartext
passwords, after all, it looks like your linux box is the firewall as well.
So, if the network is compromised the so is the mail server and vice versa.
Anyway, a cheap trick is to access the pop3 server via an ssh tunnel.

Another option (if you want to spend the extra configuration work) is
to install an IMAP server such as the UW Imap server (-> freshmeat has
a link to it ;-) Works fine for me but probably is a bit overkill for
a home network.

>  Hi,
> It is much easier to use one of the free pop servers .  Then setup her
> e-mail client to get the mail from them.
> I don't have the names of the mail servers right off hand but a quick search
> will find three or four.

Um, i wouldn't want to have my mail on some strangres server :-) In terms
of security. Would youput private date on a box with:
 - cleartext passwords
 - many, many other users that you don't know
 - no control of what's going on on the box.

 But maybe i'm being paranoid ...

  Ralf