[lug] Line quality?

Rob Riggs rob at pangalactic.org
Sun Feb 4 23:22:43 MST 2001

Tony,

The telco is responsible for getting the line quality up above 2400bps. I
think you are within your right to complain if the line is below 28.8Kbps.
However, be certain that the problem is with their portion of the wire and
not an internal wiring issue. Their hourly rates, which you will be charged

if the problem is in the house, are rather steep.

It is probably best to attach a nice new piece of CAT5 to the box outside
your house, run it indoors, attach an RJ-11 connector to it, and connect
that directly to the modem. (You will probably need to disconnect all of
the wires leading into the house temporarily while you perform this test.)
If you still get a 2400bps connection, you can then be fairly certain it is

a telco problem.

I've managed to get USWest out to fix lines that ran at 9600bps, so
don't hesitate to call them. If they seem unwilling to fix the problem,
explain that you need a decent data line for your job and if it isn't
fixed you'll have a chat with the PUC.