[lug] Domain Hosting..

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Feb 5 02:55:14 MST 2001

Tim,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you at all this last week, I have just
been through a week from hell at work... (just got off an eleven-hour
conference call and they called back saying that they needed more help
an hour later...).  I am in the dead-zone right now sleep-wise.

To answer your questions, and sorry I haven't read further down yet to
see what other replies were given...

> I might be interested in your offer.  Also, I could try and return the
> favor for others.  I, too, have DSL, but currently don't really know much
> about DNS.  I would need to learn before I could help.  Oh yeah, my IP is
> also static.  I have registered silverklein.net but don't currently have
> any DNS pointed to it.  My ISP does email forwarding for free.  But they want
> 5 or 7 bucks a month to do DNS, and a one time fee of 20 buck or the like.

That's not really too bad a deal, if you don't want to mess around with
it yourself.

> So where should I go to get up to speed on DNS?

There are a number of resources online, I would check out:
www.isc.org/products/BIND (the people that make it)
http://www.nominum.com/resources/faqs/bind-faq.html
http://www.intac.com/~cdp/cptd-faq/
http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/
http://www.acmebw.com/askmr.htm
http://www.crynwr.com/crynwr/rfc1035/rfc1035.html

That's a good start on the major on-line resources.

In addition, even though it is somewhat lacking in information about
BIND 9, good old DNS & BIND from O'Riley & Assoc. is the definitive
dead-tree reference.  And it's darn good.  Dry dry dry, but if you
realllllly want to know DNS very well...

A couple of recent books have come out that are pretty good also.
There's a DNS for Professionals (I think, I can get the exact title or
ISBN from my co-worker's copy at work...) that looked pretty good.

I also see books from time to time specifically related to doing DNS on
WinNT, but I have neither the time, nor the inclination to look at
those...

> Anyone else interested.

I'll read the rest of the replies and see what came of my ramblings.  :)

Seriously the offer still stands, I just got completely hammered this
week and haven't read BLUG at all.  (Shame on me!)

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>