[lug] ulimit

Michael J. Pedersen marvin at keepthetouch.org
Mon Feb 5 08:34:50 MST 2001

On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 08:15:25AM -0500, Hugh Brown wrote:
> On another list I'm on, someone is having problems with nis timing out.
> All of the searching I've done seems to indicate that increasing the
> number of file handles will do the trick.

Check to make sure the server is on the same network as the client. If not,
there is some skullduggery which has to be done to make it work (nothing
serious, but it needs to be done). Basically, the default behavior of NIS is
to broadcast the request for the server it should work with. If no server is
on the network, then no server replies, and NIS times out. Telling nis which
server to use will solve that problem. An easier solution might be a NIS slave
server on the same network, though.

Answers for doing all of these is in the NIS howto.

--
Michael J. Pedersen
My GnuPG KeyID: 4E724A60        My Public Key Available At: wwwkeys.pgp.net