[lug] Gnome problem

cool at lwn.net cool at lwn.net
Mon Feb 5 17:51:22 MST 2001

I'm having a problem with Gnome.  The default window manager is
enlightenment, which on my laptop, is quite slow to come up.  I used
the Gnome Control Center to switch the default to Sawmill.  This works
during the session where I make the change, but, even though I've
saved my session settings (multiple) times, when I restart X,
enlightenment comes up anyway.  If I go into the control center, it
shows Sawmill as the window manager and the file
.gnome/wm-properties/Config reports "Current=Sawmill".

Nonetheless, Enlightenment won't go away.

Any suggestions?  I've installed KDE on the system and I can
switch between KDE and Gnome without a problem now, but I find
myself crippled by a lack of knowledge of KDE, or a few missing
tools (like, where is the power monitor and what are the keyboard
shortcuts to switch between virtual windows?).

Liz