[lug] RH 7.1 from iso?

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Mon Feb 5 22:17:35 MST 2001

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> With Redhat having the beta of 7.1 out, I'm considering wiping second
> machine clean and installing it there, via the network card. If I
> download the iso's of the install disks to my regular linux machine, how
> hard is it to create a boot floppy or some means of installing to the
> other machine? I may give up on this anyway, due to the download size
> (I'd have to leave it downloading a LONG time).

I believe you want to mount the isos, then copy their files to a single
directory which is available via nfs, ftp or http (I seem to have the most luck
with network installs and http, FWIW).

Then visit the "images" directory on CD #1, put a floppy disk in the
appropriate drive, and type "dd if=bootnet.img of=/dev/fd0".  That will create
the network boot floppy you need (it worked for me last night).

If you can get a couple of blank CDs to me, I'll be happy to burn "fisher" on
them for you (I just LOVE Mom's cable modem!)

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)