[lug] Checking memory (more info)

Ferdinand P. Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Tue Feb 6 14:53:29 MST 2001

I am not sure if this is the best way to go but wouldn't the top command list
the memory usage for you?

John Starkey wrote:

> Sorry. My question below turned into two. So I'm adding more to the
> second.
>
> I have 3 boxes.
>
> 233MHz 72Meg w/ 42 gigs of HD
> 333MHz 64Meg w/ 6 gigs
> 100MHz 32Meg w/ 1 gig
>
> Right now the 233 is serving everything and the 333 is a gnome
> worstation. I wanna move some of the memory hogs in the 233 over to the
> 100 to clear internal mem for a gnome workstation.
>
> I will be moving the router and firewall over to that machine but I'm
> wondering if there are some other things it can handle efficiently as
> well. I'm really not that convinced that the router/firewall is eating too
> much memory. It appears transparent to me with the net radio cranked and 2
> machines surfing constantly.
>
> Would the 100MHz die down if I added apache and proftpd to it's list? They
> each will serve a max of about 50 pages a day on heavy traffic days :} and
> some ssh/vi editting. I'm not too sure how the memory is handled. If i
> have 2 httpd's running how much is that eating up?

I have not seen apache using a lot of resources at all when serving static
pages.  Currently I see it uses about 16 MB of RAM on my desktop, where is work
it for testing purposes.  FTPD is marginal because inetd starts it only when an
incoming connection request is received.

--
Ferdinand Schmid
http://www.archenergy.com