[lug] Linux boxes drop off the net? Router problem?

Sebastian Sobolewski spsobole at mindless.com
Tue Feb 6 13:00:53 MST 2001

An Explanation of ARP:

When a host needs to send a datagram to another host on the same network,
the sending application must know both the IP and MAC addresses of the
intended receiver; this is because the destination IP address is placed in
the IP packet and the destination MAC address is placed in the LAN MAC
protocol frame. (If the destination host is on another network, the sender
will look instead for the MAC address of the default gateway, or router.)
Unfortunately, the sender's IP process may not know the MAC address of the
intended receiver on the same network. The Address Resolution Protocol
(ARP), described in RFC 826, provides a mechanism so that a host can learn
a receiver's MAC address when knowing only the IP address. The process is
actually relatively simple: the host sends an ARP Request packet in a frame
containing the MAC broadcast address; the ARP request advertises the
destination IP address and asks for the associated MAC address. The station
on the LAN that recognizes its own IP address will send an ARP Response
with its own MAC address. As Figure 1 shows, ARP message are carried
directly in the LAN frame and ARP is an independent protocol from IP. The
IANA maintains a list of all ARP parameters.

(Stolen from: http://www.hill.com/library/publications/tcpip.shtml )

--------------------
         ARP is handled by the Linux TCP/IP stack.. but it could still be
possible that one of your security packages is blocking ARP packets. To
make ARP queries you can use the built in Linux/Unix "arp -a"
executable.  This will list all ip<->mac addresses discovered on the
network by the kernel. If it's not your security software then it must be
either the switch or the cisco router not causing the drops.
   My guess would be that one or both of the boxes are relying on ARP for
intelligent packet routing.  Is there anyway that you can isolate a ping so
that it does NOT hit the router?  This could let you figure out if it's the
router or the switch.
         I also believe that both the switch and the Cisco router have the
ability to log into and display current ARP tables. (either through the
network or the serial manage port on the back of the devices)  You could
have your network admin check that to see what the switch and router think
they see on the network.

Unfortunately this is where my knowledge of routing ends.

Either way I hope this helps a bit more.
-Sebastian