[lug] Linux boxes drop off the net? Router problem?

Sebastian Sobolewski spsobole at mindless.com
Tue Feb 6 13:55:47 MST 2001

> > Our SysAdmin is pretty good in many respects, but I think he'd be the first
> > to say that he falls short of the "guru level" in some areas -- Linux is
> > definitely one of them, and I don't think he knows everything there is to
>
>Who would ...
>
>BTW, is it possible that some of your boxes are misconfigured? I have
>seen similar phaenomena in a network where two boxes happened to have
>the same hardware address (yes, thatr _is_ possible). Some intelligent
>route inbetween got really confused. Similar things happen if two boxes
>share the same IP address. Or does the IP address of your gateway change
>sometimes? Or even worse: do two gateways share the same IP address?
>The kernel keeps a cache of the hardware addresses it has seen recently,
>if the kernel thinks the hardware addresss of box A is xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
>when in reality it changed then it keeps sending the IP addresses to the
>wrong hardware address.

         But that should have an effect on both sides of the connection
should it not?  Ie: not being able to ping out from the machine in question
as well as ping in.  He seems to only have the problem of the machine
disappearing from the network externally. (Not being able to ping the
machine from another one, but he can ping from that "invisible" machine to
anything else) Also after the ping the machine becomes visible again to the
external net.  This would indicate that the configuration problem is at the
3com switch.  Right?

         I'm curious to see what the cause and solution to this problem is
as well.

-Sebastian
Sebastian Sobolewski