[lug] Quote of the Day

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Feb 7 01:12:11 MST 2001

On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 04:45:20PM -0700, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> However, forking does have one kind of nice advantage.  If the process
> handling a connection dies or freaks out for some reason, it doesn't
> impact any other connections or the server overall.  Not necessarily
> true with threads or multiplexing.

Hey Sean.  I understand threading and forking, could you point me to
something that explains "multiplexing" as used in programming?  (I'm an
old telco guy, so multiplexing meant something else for so many years
that I'm having a hard time applying the term to what I know about
computers.)

Sounds like something interesting to know about software design that I
missed somewhere.

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>