[lug] X FontPaths

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Feb 7 01:40:02 MST 2001

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 01:00:39PM -0700, John Starkey wrote:

I doubt it's this, but I was getting this EXACT error message from a RH
6.2 machine that had /tmp deleted by accident.

The users of the system said that they'd done nothing to it other than
run the Netscape 6 installer.

There was a mysterious /temp directory in / on it also.

Anyway, what was going on was that without /tmp, X cannot write the X0
device that various programs want to use to communicate to the X server.

(And then I recreated /tmp with improper permissions... so it STILL
didn't work... hahaha... then I remembered what I'd done wrong...)

Make sure non-root users can write to /tmp.

--
Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>