[lug] Linux boxes drop off the net? Router problem?

celttechie (Brian Jarrett) celttechie at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 7 07:29:21 MST 2001

I have a few observations I'd like to throw in here but I'm not sure if
it'll be useful.

We had a similar problem with a Linux machine that had two interfaces that I
was using to masquerade for a test lab to the company network.  The machine
also had Samba running on it to provide a way for the programmers to get
files into the lab by placing them on the Linux machine and then pulling
them into the test lab.  Things seemed to go well until we installed a
firewall on our corporate network.  It may have been coincidental, but the
problems did start happening about the same time.  In my case, neither
interface would respond to PINGs.  Doing a packet capture revealed that the
Linux box was engaged in sending out a huge amount of DNS queries that I
assumed is what caused it not to PING.  After the machine had been running
for half an hour or so, it would finally respond again.  This condition
degraded though, and soon it wasn't usable at all.  Unfortunately I was gone
when one of the owners got mad and had the lab remove the Linux box and
place an NT machine in its stead.  I need to spend more time on packet
captures, etc. but at the time we had assumed that the problem was somewhere
within SAMBA.  I haven't had the time to investigate further.

Brian