[lug] Gnome problem

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Wed Feb 7 13:01:59 MST 2001

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 cool at lwn.net wrote:

> This was quite interesting.  On my PC, following the ~/.gnome/session
> file makes perfect sense.  I can switch from enlightenment to sawmill
> and all references to enlightenment disappear from the ~/.gnome/session
> file.  Switch back to enlightenment and all references to sawmill
> disappear.  Makes sense, right?

Liz, I've had difficulties similar to what you've mentioned, and never did
quite figure out what was going on.  In my case, I had two accounts on the
machine, and after switching window managers on one of them I could never
get things to behave quite like I wanted.  Changes simply didn't seem to
stick.

In my case, the only difference between the two accounts could have been
in the individual account's "." scripts.  To get back to the default
scenario I ended up deleting all of the "." files in the modified login
that didn't appear in the login configured by default.  That got rid of
the strange behavior, but I never located the cause of the problem.

So ... I'm watching this thread with some extra interest ...

Is there anyone out there interested in giving a talk about the Gnome
project - things like what is gnome, what is the difference between Gnome
and X, etc. ?  I actually get quite a lot of questions from other people
about this kind of thing, and don't have a particularly solid handle on
it.

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)