[lug] Gnome problem

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 7 13:47:07 MST 2001

Along these lines, I was having a scary thought the other day.  Would
Microsoft have any reason to develop and sell a GUI (X/Desktop/WM
replacement) for Linux?  Why would people go for such a thing, you ask?
What if Microsoft said that you can buy Office for Linux which runs only
under their closed-source desktop.  Maybe they'd sell it as a bundle.
Feasible enough, right?  Would this fly?  What if they built in X
compatibility?  Would it undermine Windows itself, or just kill X and
expand Microsoft's desktop dominance?  Could something like this spring
from the DOJ rulings against Microsoft?

Sorry if I violated the unwritten code of conduct regarding M$-related
topics :)

Just some food for thought...