[lug] ISP suggestions, Louisville broadband?

Harris, James James_Harris at maxtor.com
Thu Feb 8 09:38:46 MST 2001

I haven't gotten the confirmation back yet, but http://www.telocity.com is
claiming they can provide DSL to me (I'm just southeast of the center of old
Louisville -- supposedly about 16,000-18,000 ft away from the CO.)  I put in
my order a week ago and am waiting for the final confirmation.  When I get
one, I'll try to remember to send you/the list an email with the results.

If Telocity really can provide to us, they'll do it for $45 a month
including the external modem and no installation fee.  They're also claiming
to be Linux friendly (and by default they hand out a static IP -- or so they
say.)

Jeff Collins' suggestion of Sprint Broadband
(http://www.sprintbroadband.com) is probably the next best option (I've been
searching for a looooong time.)  The only downfall is the cost of equipment.

Also... don't get your hopes up on AT&T broadband.  They're telling people
over the phone that they're going to have the whole digital infrastructure
in place by the end of March, but the tech that came out to me said that
it'll only be ready for digital cable then, and not finished for broadband
access until the end of the year.

--Jim
(Watch the dialup, it's pretty rotten.  Unless you live next to the CO, most
everyone I've spoken to, including myself, (yes, I speak to myself...) ;-)
is seeing no better than 28.8.)