[lug] @home mail failures - isp alternatives?

Neal McBurnett nealmcb at avaya.com
Thu Feb 8 16:19:09 MST 2001

I use AT&T's local @home service and find it useful, but I run into pretty
frequent DNS and DHCP outages.  All the DNS servers are on a single
subnet!  But those are pretty easy to work around.

Jeff Sparhawk forwards this interesting and alarming page of
statistics about email outages, though:

	http://members.home.net/mblackford/eGroup-chart.htm

I think the author is in California, and I wonder if local experience
is as bad.  All users would share a lot of the email infrastructure.

I don't use the email part of the package and would love to stop
paying for it.  Does anyone know the status of the current experiment
(pioneered in Boulder) with AT&T providing alternative ISPs for
a small selected group of users?

I've copied Ricard Varnes on this message - he is Director of
Operations for Cable Refranchising Issues with the City of Boulder:
(303) 441-3102.

Some other details are in the messages attached below.

Sigh,

Neal McBurnett <neal at bcn.boulder.co.us>  303-538-4852
http://bcn.boulder.co.us/~neal/      (with GPG/PGP keys)

----- Forwarded message from Jeff Sparhawk <jsparhawk at home.com> -----