[lug] Bootup install problem

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Thu Feb 8 19:51:02 MST 2001

Justin,

This is a long shot, but I ran into the same problem on my Abit
KT7-Raid.  In the BIOS, you can not set the ide devices to CDROM, so I
didn't think much about it and set it to none (all the other choices
were for hard drives).  Well, as it turns out, the BIOS then didn't even
look for anything on the 2nd ide channel, so it could, of course, not
boot from it.  The Linux kernel could care less what the BIOS saw at
boot time, so it found the CDROM just fine once it was up, which hid my
problem.  As it turns out though, I missed the option to set my bios to
'auto' for the ide port the cd was on.  Once I did that, the BIOS looked
for a device there, found a CDROM, and all was well.

Again, it is a long shot, especially if you haven't touched your BIOS
settings in a while, but this gave me exactly the symptoms you describe.
And you also have an Abit mobo, so I bet the settings are similar.

HTH

Tim

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 06:52:07PM -0700, Justin wrote:
> I'm trying to re-install my workstation linux box but ran into a slight
> problem. I set the bios on my abit bm6 mobo to boot from the cdrom
> (like I've done on previous linux installs) so I could install linux.
> For some reason it's not even trying to boot from the cdrom though.
> I've tried different cdrom drives and different linux cd's with the
> same thing. I know this works because I've installed linux on this box
> before this same way, just for reason it's suddenly not booting from
> the cdrom now. Anyone have any other idea why the machine wouldn't boot
> directly from the cdrom like it should? Thanks for any help...
>
> Justin
> -----
> glow at jackmoves.com
> www.jackmoves.com

== Timothy Klein       || And what rough beast                   ==
== teece at hypermall.net || Its hour come round at last            ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born? ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || The beast of Redmond, nothing more.    ==