[lug] rio500 support kernel 2.4.1

charles at lunarmedia.net charles at lunarmedia.net
Fri Feb 9 08:00:39 MST 2001

This is what i am accustomed to seeing when using a kernel that is shipped
with/downloaded from RedHat. However, when using this 2.4.1 which i
downloaded from kernel.org, i see no reference to the rio under usb:

<*> Support for USB
[*]   USB verbose debug messages
--- Miscellaneous USB options
[*]   Preliminary USB device filesystem
--- USB Controllers
<M>   UHCI (Intel PIIX4, VIA, ...) support
<M>   UHCI Alternate Driver (JE) support
<M>   OHCI (Compaq, iMacs, OPTi, SiS, ALi, ...) support
--- USB Device Class drivers
<M>   USB Audio support
<*>   USB Mass Storage support
[*]     USB Mass Storage verbose debug
[*]     Freecom USB/ATAPI Bridge support
<M>   USB Modem (CDC ACM) support
<M>   USB Printer support
--- USB Human Interface Devices (HID)
---   Input core support is needed for USB HID
--- USB Imaging devices
<M>   USB Kodak DC-2xx Camera support
<M>   USB Scanner support
--- USB Multimedia devices
<M>   DABUSB driver
--- USB Network adaptors
--- USB port drivers
USB Serial Converter support  --->
--- USB misc drivers

just for kicks, i've enabled most everything under usb as a module to see
if any other option would appear, but to no avail.

sure enough, when i take a look at the .config file, i see:

#
# USB Serial Converter support
#
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL=m
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC=y
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_BELKIN is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_WHITEHEAT is not set
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_DIGI_ACCELEPORT=m
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_EMPEG is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_FTDI_SIO is not set
CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_VISOR=m
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN_PDA is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_KEYSPAN is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_MCT_U232 is not set
# CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_OMNINET is not set
# CONFIG_USB_RIO500 is not set

so there it is, showing that it is not set. i could manually edit this,
but i am curious to know *why* its not showing up.

you both have been a great help so far, thank you-
charles